Re: [ontolog-forum] Just What Is an Ontology, Anyway?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Mitch Harris" <maharri@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:59:17 -0400
Christopher Menzel wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2009, at 11:43 AM, Ian Bailey wrote:
>
> > Er...what does ontology have to do with automated reasoning ?
>
> Ever since the term was co-opted (not entirely without warrant) by the
> CS/AI community, a (perhaps the) central motivation has been to
> facilitate automated reasoning on large knowledge bases.    (01)

I think the appropriate middle ground is 'to facilitate automation'.    (02)

To have done otherwise would be considered silly by everybody.    (03)

For Ian, good use can be made of ontologies with out going all the way to
reasoners.    (04)

But for you (and me) the end point for those things considered fully-fledged
ontologies is to allow reasoning engines to work with them.    (05)

Mitch    (06)