Re: [ontolog-forum] Just What Is an Ontology, Anyway?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ian Bailey" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 16:43:01 -0000
Er...what does ontology have to do with automated reasoning ?  The scope of
ontology is far wider than that, and there are lots of ontologies out there
that are really useful for real world applications, but don't meet the
narrow requirements for finite-time reasoning. On the other hand, there are
ontologies out there that have been built only for reasoning, and are no use
whatsoever in real world applications...in fact there are rather a lot of
these, mostly funded by our taxes, unfortunately.     (01)

I'm not sure a complete proof theory is required either. The
none-well-founded stuff seems to work quite well (assuming that's what Chris
meant by "proof").     (02)