[ontolog-forum] [Fwd: Re: Ontology-based database integration]

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: rick <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 16:30:53 -0400
oops, the actual link is here ...    (01)

http://phaneron.rickmurphy.org/?p=36    (02)

--
Rick    (04)

cell: 703-201-9129
web:  http://www.rickmurphy.org
blog: http://phaneron.rickmurphy.org    (05)
And model theoretic semantics is entirely silent on those questions.    (01)

Sounds like model theoretic semantics is overdue for an update because
the rich discussion of meaning is still ongoing in philosophy. Take for
example Scott Soames' recent "The Unity of the Proposition."    (02)

http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~soames/forthcoming_papers/Unity.pdf    (03)

Given that model theory implies satisfying an interpretation based on
structures which preserve truth implied by the assumption of material
adequacy and signatures which lack enough symbols to represent meaning,
I'm surprised that someone hasn't already proposed revising the
definition of interpretation to include structures where *fully
interpreted* requires meaning, not truth (or satisfaction) and complex
enough signatures to include symbols that are interpretants, signs and
objects.    (04)

Here's a piece I've been working on for a while that speaks to this
issue and has a useful diagram that extends the Triangle of Meaning.    (05)

It's called Linked Data: Interpretants and Interpretation.    (06)

Of course there's more than a life time of work to be done to properly
develop what I've proposed, but silence on these important questions
won't last forever !    (07)

--
Rick    (09)

cell: 703-201-9129