Re: [ontolog-forum] Fundamental questions about ontology use and reuse

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 00:20:39 -0700
John:    (01)

Why do we need ontologies?    (03)

Whether correct or not, I usually find a winning statement with the
following in the business world:    (04)

1. Business decisions are fuelled/made based upon information!
2. Inference: bad or missing quality information increases the risk of poor
quality business decisions!
 a. Areas where ontology work can help with information quality:
 b. Relevance - What process does the information support decisions in?
 c. Clarity - what does the information really mean?
 d. Consistency/compatibility - how do you get information from different
parts of your organization to come together?
 e. Search ­ how can you find the information you require?    (05)

Duane    (06)

On 6/19/09 8:42 PM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (07)

--
Sr. Technical Evangelist ­ Adobe Systems
Chair ­ OASIS SOA RM Technical Committee

Blog: http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Twitter: duanechaos
Duane¹s World TV: http://www.duanesworldtv.org
Band: http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
Author ­ <a
href=²http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2009/05/web-20-architecture-book-is-he
re.html ³>Web 2.0 Architecture</a>    (010)