Re: [ontolog-forum] Fundamental questions about ontology use and reuse

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ryan Kohl <kohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:14:21 -0400
I've come to think that data-sharing is not a good reason to involve
oneself in ontology.  As you mentioned, programs have been shuttling
data back and forth for over 50 years quite fine without ontologists
around.     (01)

Naturally, data-sharing would be much easier if we all agreed upon a
single model to use.  This would encourage us to understand Ontology as
the study of making one model to replace them all, and ontologists as
the people who do a lot of talking in order to reach agreement on this
one model.    (02)

A different approach to data-sharing would be to formalize as much of
the semantics of a dataset as possible.  Once the meanings were made
explicit in a formal-enough manner, we could hope that there'd be some
program we might write that would generate mappings to share data in a
way that preserved this formal meaning.  In this way, ontologists do
less talking and more writing as they translate natural-language
definitions into a more formal variety.    (03)

The first strategy to sharing data doesn't seem to scale particularly
well, and ultimately seems to benefit more from people who train in
facilitating meetings than people with a background in mathematics,
computer science, linguistics, or philosophy.    (04)

The second strategy would be great if we had such programs to leverage
rich formal definitions, but we're not quite there yet.  This may be the
solar box you're looking for, and would be damned neat if it were found.     (05)

However, I do think that a good reason for involving oneself in ontology
is not to share data, but instead to formalize semantics.  There seem to
be quite a lot of prospects for data with formal semantics (data sharing
being one), and many current uses for them as well (e.g. lighter user
interfaces that can depend on the inferences explicit in an ontology and
realized by some reasoner).  Thus, I'm not disagreeing with you on the
importance of solar boxes, but only on your short answer to why we need
ontologies:
> ontologies are necessary for sharing and interoperability.

-Ryan    (06)