Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic v. Pragmatic Web

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Leal <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 12:08:33 +0100
Dear All,    (01)

Two EU projects ScadaOnWeb and S-TEN applied some Semantic Web technologies
to process control. The approach taken was:
- define a class of thing (perhaps a class of activity or state); and
- announce that you want exactly one member.    (02)

For supervisory control of an electricity network, the class could be:
- generation by generator G where the output increases to x kw before t1 and
continues at at least x kw until t2.    (03)

For purchase of a pizza the class could be:
- deliver pizza with lots of basil to address A before time t and receive
payment on delivery of amount m.    (04)

This is only the beginning. The actor capable of actually creating a
physical individual member of the class has to decide what to do. This
depends upon a) what is possible, b) the status of the request - how urgent
is it, how important is the actor making the request.    (05)

The actor capable of creating a physical individual member the class may:
- define a class of thing;
- announce that it proposes to create a member.    (06)

If the proposed class is a subclass of the requested class, then all is OK.
(Under English law this can be an offer and an acceptance, and hence a
contract.) But perhaps it is not possible to provide the requested power by
the requested time. Perhaps the basil has run out. We are now into
negotiation, with perhaps a new request and a new proposal.    (07)

A vocabulary is needed to cover these transactions. This is a bit more than
a vocabulary to do with web services because it is concerned with the world
outside the web - opening and closing valves, baking pizzas, collecting
money, etc..    (08)

The vocabulary needs to allow statements such as:
- "I want a member of class C";
- "I can create a member of class C";
- "I intend to create a member of class C".    (09)

A statement such as:
- "I have created a member of class C"
is less useful. You need to check yourself - do your instruments show that
the power is being supplied, did the pizza arrive? You need a statement that
you can trust of the form "x exists and is a member of C".    (010)

Best regards,
David    (011)

At 16:18 07/06/2009 -0700, you wrote:
>see below
>Dick McCullough
>http://mkrmke.org

reason why mkr is not used to support a web service ?
>  RHM>
>  My web hosting service doesn't allow me to execute mKE.
>
>  In the command below I cant see where I can say 'margherita, large'
>    RHM>
>    do buy od large margherita done;
>    mKR uses phrases, not just single words.
>
>    # KEHOME/test/buy.html
>    # Jun/7/2009
>    buy is method with
>        format = [product:1],
>        meaning = {
>        let browser = C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe;
>        let google = 'http://www.google.com/products?q=';
>        ! "${browser}" "${google}$1" done;
>        };
>
>    To execute from command prompt
>
>    $ ke -s
>    ke$ do read from test/buy.html done;
>    ke$ do buy od pizza done;
>    ke$ exit;
>    $
>

>    Dick McCullough
>    http://mkrmke.org

David Leal
CAESAR Systems Limited
registered office: 29 Somertrees Avenue, Lee, London SE12 0BS
registered in England no. 2422371
tel:      +44 (0)20 8857 1095
mob:      +44 (0)77 0702 6926
e-mail:   david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx