[ontolog-forum] Semantic v. Pragmatic Web

To: "Ontolog-Forum-Bounces" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Sean Barker" <sean.barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 09:11:48 +0100
In the theoy of the sematic web, I can identify whether a particular pizza
is the one I want to buy, and in theory I could identify if I've already
ordered one (There exists order...), however I see no logical way of
actually buying it. That is, holding fast to the distinction between
semantics and pragmatics implies that semantic web must necessarily
incomplete, because logic does not deal with performative utterenaces, such
as "I'd like to buy a pizza".    (01)

1) Is this true?    (02)

2) If it is true, is this a design feature of the web?    (03)

3) If it is not true, how are pragmatics assert in FOL?    (04)

Note: I tend to assume that it is not true on the basis of the following
program fragment intermixing VDM and Pascal    (05)

VDM:    TRUE
Pascal: x:= 3;
VDM:      (x = 3)    (06)

That is VDM could assert pre-  and post-conditions, but was not itself
executable. At the time I looked at this there was some discussion of
executable specifications, but I didn't follow this up.    (07)

Sean Barker
Bristol, UK    (08)