Re: [ontolog-forum] web-syllogism-and-worldview

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 18:40:04 +0300
Bart wrote:
We would like to use logical syntax and axioms to analyze natural
phenomenon, and organize them into some formal language, in order to interpret them using ontologies, in this case hierarchical. A problem
arises when the interpretations we create, contain cyclic sentences which are inconsistent.

There is much bigger problem here, the semantic one.
Nobody can describe natural phenomena with logical syntax. Otherwise science would be redundant.
Broadly, there are two types of conceptual systems: logical semantic systems (LOS), involving the so-called formal semantics, and real semantic systems (RES), involving the real semantics, as in:

LOS = conceptual language + designation rules (symbols-constructs correspondence);
RES = conceptual language + designation rules + denotation rules (a symbol-thing correspondence) and representation rules (semantic assumptions, or hypothesis) (constructs-real world things correspondence).

The last one is about a theoretical system expressed by a particular scientific symbolism, which significance is the subject of this scientific domain.
For example, if you describe a physical particle (p), the logical description will give you the individual variable with its mass m as a predicate, designated as the Newtonian mass function. But you need the correspondence rules from constructs to physical things; namely:
1. a denotation rule (reference), indicating the physical referent p;
2. a representation rule (semantic assumption), measuring the position of the particle x(p, u,t) re. to some reference frame of units u at some moment of time t.
With the RES you also find out that m(p) represents the inertia of particle (semantic axiom), and that it is subject to the conservation laws and Newton's law of motion (factual axioms).

Bottom line:
To transform all semantic problems into syntactic problems is a wishful dream, with missed even R. Carnap.
Wonder have we ever thread on Syntactic reductionism?

Azamat Abdoullaev