[ontolog-forum] Spottiswoode contribution to ConferenceCall_2009_03_26

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ontology Summit 2009" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 00:01:38 +0200
Hello all,    (01)

This post introduces my pitch during the Conference Call run-up,
on
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2009_03_26,
to OntologySummit2009, "Towards Ontology-based Standards", as at
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2009.    (02)

This post will also function as an indirect "MACK basics - 5th
and now final instalment", closing that series of posts to the
Ontolog Forum.  The 5th instalment was to have been subtitled
"exploiting the orthogonality in abstraction", but that theme is
now at least introduced in the slideshow introduced below,
building on the earlier instalments in the series.    (03)

As you can see on the first link above,
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2009_03_26, I
am to speak under this title (which I had myself proposed):    (04)

"Towards demonstrating a new ontology-based standard component
architecture for IT applications"    (05)

I am suggesting that course as a project which one or more of
the Ontolog Community or Summit participants might wish to
become involved in.  As well as being highly relevant, as it
seems to me, to the Summit theme, it would function as a first
step of the "Ride The Mainstream!" project introduced at the
outset of the slideshow and fursther described on my website
www.TheMainstream.info.    (06)

My original motivation to Steve Ray, the organizer of the
Conference Call, for my contribution is now at
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontology-summit/2009-03/msg00005.html
and I trust it speaks for itself.  Anyway, Steve did have the
courage to accept it!    (07)

So I have drawn up a slideshow on which to base my presentation,
but at 31 slides for a 5 - 10 minute slot it is clearly far too
long.  I do nonetheless plan to fit my presentation into 5
minutes and at least introduce some highlights of the slideshow
as an introduction to the project I am proposing for the
Summit's consideration, and ultimately to the entire "Ride The
Mainstream!" project itself.    (08)

So if you are planning to take part in the Conference Call, any
time you could spend downloading that slideshow from the
Conference Call page,
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2009_03_26,
and at least browsing it, would greatly improve your chances of
understanding my presentation.  So I would urge you to undertake
that exercise.    (09)

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions about that slideshow
or either project, whether via the Ontolog list or offline to
me.    (010)

Christopher    (011)