Re: [ontolog-forum] Lenat/Cyc Reaction to WolframAlpha

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:45:02 -0700
Mike (and others):

You can apply to get on the testing list.  There doesn’t seem to be any current test cycle but I presume they will accept testers, especially from this list.

Peter – I would like to propose that we invite Steve W. to give an overview on our regular Thursday calls at some time in the future.

Duane

On 10/03/09 7:04 PM, "sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mike,

I didn't get the personal demo, but I did gather some other information that is consistent with what Lenat wrote.  I strongly agree with Lenat:

 > http://blog.cyc.com/2009/03/wolfram-alpha.html

But I don't believe that Steve Wolfram will sell the company.

> "I would invest in this, literally and figuratively. If it is not
> gobbled up by one of the existing industry superpowers, his
> company may well grow to become one of them in a small number of
> years, with most of us setting our default browser to be Wolfram
> Alpha."

The company is profitable, Steve W. is too independent to sell it for a quick profit, and he doesn't have any VC's telling him what to do.

John

Duane Nickull, Vancouver, BC Canada
Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe LiveCycle ES and Enterprise
Duane's World TV Show - http://tv.adobe.com/#pg+1537
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/duanechaos
Community Open Source Music - http://www.mixmatchmusic.com