Re: [ontolog-forum] New Book: "Narrative Information"

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: gian-piero.zarri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Gian Piero Zarri <zarri@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:31:04 +0100

Dear Rich,

For a detailed representation of temporal information in a narrative context, see pp. 71-86 of my "Narrative Information" book for the basic principles, pp. 194-201 for the use of temporal information to set up advanced indexing/querying procedures, pp. 165-167 for an example of dealing with my formalism with implicit speech situations characterized, e.g., by the presence of "since", etc. Hoping to hear from someone how to implement the same making use of the W3C stuff...

Regards,

Gian Piero ZARRI

Rich Cooper a écrit :
Thanks Pat,

Then how should I represent, for relational DB update purposes, the sentence

“Mary was given (or received) a book earlier.

which I encoded in a way you are not happy with as:

Earlier( Give(nil, Mary, book) )

I want to refer to that specific act of giving “Give (nil, Mary, book)” not to some other act of giving which may also be in the RDB.

I also want to state that the action happened when time was “earlier” than when the act happened.  The act happened just Now.

I also want to state the same without giving any more specificity to the actual time at which the action happened, or more detail to what the action was.

So (TheTime, (Give(nil, Mary, book) ), < Now) is sorta what I’m after.  Can you make it look more like standard FOL without otherwise damaging the NLP meanings?

But please keep it still compatible with RDB representations of natural language sentences.

Thank,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper