Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology - Pat's 5 questions

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:04:16 -0000

Dear PatH,

<snip>

I don't think so, mia culpa for trying to be too cute. I'll try again. Types are sets, OK. Why not just call them 'sets', then? I suspect the reason is that while all types are sets, not all sets are types. Some sets are, other sets are just damn silly sets. FOr example, the set of all triangular pieces of 3-space might be a type, but the set of all African lions over three years old, my aunt, the number 14 and the sodium atoms contained at this moment in my left pinkie's fingernail, might not be a type. The point being that a set really can be a set of anything, assembled for no rational reason at all; but (I suspect) you don't want to be this liberal with what counts as a type (?). If I'm right, what criterion distinguishes the sets which are types from the other, sillier, sets? If I'm wrong, why not just say "set" instead of "type" everywhere?

[MW] I’m pretty certain any set is allowed, otherwise the powertype stuff doesn’t make a lot of sense.

If you want to discuss this sort of stuff, you’re better engaging with Matthew and Chris, who’ve actually bothered to go and read books on logic and philosophy.

4)      Never thought about it, but I can’t see why not. The bigger question is why on earth would you ?

Oh, because it is often handy. In RDFS for example the class of all classes is a class. (What else would it be?) The reason for asking was to probe into your underlying logic, to tell you the truth.

[MW] Well as you know I take the class of all classes as a class, but I’m not sure where Chris P stands.

5)      Purple is a type, it’s extent is all things that are purple.

So colors are sets of things with that color, do I have that right?  Including all parts of things that are purple, I presume? This does work, though the best account of color is that its a property of a surface rather than of an object.

Being square is membership of the type “square things”.

So is membership in a type a kind of thing, or individual?

[MW] It’s a type of couple (see the ontology fragment below).

MotherOf is a couple

? I fail to follow this. A couple of what? (Do you mean, a set of 2-tuples? If so, I'm cool with that answer,

[MW] Yes.

but I'd like to be able to treat that set as an individual (my sense), ie be able to talk about it standing in relations and having properties.)

[MW] Yes. It is a thing (again you only need to read what is below) and so can stand in a tuple.

, though you may also wish to define other things like birth, which would be a type of individual, my son’s birth is an individual – it had spatio temporal extent, and had as it’s parts, a temporal state of his mother, a temporal state of him, a temporal state of the birthing suite, a temporal state of the midwife, and a highly stressed temporal state of me.

Yup, this all makes sense. I think when it comes to concrete spatiotemporal entities we will be in almost complete agreement, though Im less of a strict extensionalist (your sense) than you all are.

A death mask is obviously an individual (it has an extent). There is a temporal extent of it when it was touching a corpse’s face (haven’t we all ?).

Yes, but what I wanted to know about was the shape of the mask. Is the shape an individual?

[MW] Depends a bit on what you think the shape actually is. If you think it is the physical surface of the mask, then it is an individual (our sense). If you mean the geometric shape – an abstraction of the physical surface, it is a class (of all things with that shape).

Moby Dick, even 2nd edition of Moby Dick is a type.

OK, so the work is the set of its physical copies or editions. So when Melville was sitting writing, what he was writing was a set, none of whose elements existed at that time?  Hmm. Seems kind of implausible to me.

[MW] No, he was writing the first copy.

The copy of Moby Dick on my bookshelf is an individual. An e-mail is a type,

An email is a set? That just seems plain flat wrong. You can't send sets from place to place using network transfer protocols.

[MW] Again, depends what you are talking about, the common content (we’ve been here before) or the physical sign.

the rendition of it on my screen is an individual. I think all this is based on Strawson’s utterance work, but you’d have to ask Chris about that…me no do philosophy. Me engineer.

I think the points you raise are very interesting arguments, and I’m glad someone’s thinking about stuff like that. If I ever decide to do an ontology about Sherlock Holmes investigating quantum uncertainty of death masks whilst simultaneously conjecturing about sets which contain themselves, you’ll be the first person I call….just don’t expect a call any time soon.

Every question had a direct root in a practical issue, believe it or not. I'm surprised you havn't come across most of them already.

[MW] And there are more, like what sort of thing is The President of the United States?

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 560 302 3685

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.

Pat

Ta

--

Ian