Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 08:32:40 -0000
Dear Pat,    (01)

> On Feb 11, 2009, at 2:16 AM, Matthew West wrote:
>
> > Dear John,
> >
> >> Chris,
> >>
> >> I agree that Quine admitted sets into his ontology.

> >> But Alonzo Church, who allowed much richer abstract objects
> >> into his ontology, delivered a wonderful talk at Harvard with
> >> the explicit intention of annoying Quine and Nelson Goodman:
> >>
> >>    http://www.jfsowa.com/ontology/church.htm
> >>    The ontological status of women and abstract entities
> >
> > [MW] I think there are two different questions here:
> >
> > 1. Are there certain things like e.g. numbers and possible worlds?
> >
> > 2. Are they abstract or concrete?
> >
> > Even the first may be controversial, but even if you agree that
> > these things
> > exist, whether they are considered abstract or not is a different
> > question
> > (and arguably more controversial).
>
> Whether they exist or not, I think  you have to say that numbers are
> not concrete. You can't weigh seven.

[MW] I quite agree. I am waiting with interest what the answer to that one
is, I think I know what most of the other answers will be.    (02)

Regards    (03)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (04)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (05)