Re: [ontolog-forum] Is there something I missed?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
From: Mills Davis <lmd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 00:08:34 -0500
Pat,    (01)

Of course you've spoken in the spirit of criticism. No big deal.    (02)

Personally, I think it is admirable that Sowa and others are
addressing language understanding, a broader spectrum of reasoning,
and techniques to make these scale logarithmically. The semantic web
is an important line of development, but its current goals are hardly
the last word. The sweet spot for semantic web technology today is
linked data and infrastructure plumbing. For these opportunities there
is usually more than one computing approach can be taken. The burden
of proof is on semantic web advocates to show its relative business
value -- which can be done, depending on application characteristics.    (03)

The real driver for semantic solutions are applications where the
ontologies are dynamic, rather than relatively fixed. IARPA's
Blackbook 2 for intelligence analysts comes to mind. Some dynamic
infrastructure, information, process, and/or decision-making
applications can be solved with semantic web technologies as we
currently see them. However, semantic processing at scale remains a
challenge for current semantic web approaches. More to the point,
categories of problem exist that require knowledge representation that
is beyond description logic. Similarly, there are types and
combinations of reasoning needed that similarly are beyond the ken of
current semantic web technologies.    (04)

Let's embrace the semantic web for what it can do, and keep an open
mind for more powerful and enabling technologies that will be needed
as we move forward to the next internet.    (05)

Mills    (06)

BTW, thanks for the reference to MindCite.    (07)

On Feb 1, 2009, at 10:43 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:    (08)