[ontolog-forum] FW: Is there something I missed?

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Sean Barker" <sean.barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:42:16 -0000

Thanks to Peter for the references on the forum.    (01)

Thanks to the various contributors of informal definitions.    (02)

Thanks to Pat Hayes for actually answering the question (pity there are no
pubs in Florida, I feel I must owe you a firkin or so for your answers).    (03)

Following Pat's reply, I would like to add two comments:    (04)

a) I have assumed that ontology is not the study of what one can say
about arbitrary collections of axioms - I guess that tends to send one
off down the description logic route. But my interpretation of Pat's
response is
 - given your motivation is to produce an ontology -
there is no formal set of properties on the axioms that make it an
ontology. OK, then    (05)

b)
one can move the goal and ask, are there certain classes of ontology
for which there is a formal definition, and for which it is interesting
to look at the mappings between them?    (06)

For example, one might start with a directed graph of nodes N = {n1,
n2,...} and arcs A = (a1, a2,...) and define a hierarchy as a directed
graph which has a function f(N) -> natural numbers such that if ni is
related to nj by some arc in A, then f(ni) < f(nj);
   Then a forest is a hierarchy where (n2 is related to n1) and (n3 is
related to n1) implies that (n2 equals n3);
   A tree is a forest where there is exactly one node nk for which there is
no arc in A such that ni is related to nk (for all ni).    (07)

One can then ask questions about whether one can map a particular
ontology onto a tree, or a forest or a hierarchy, and the classes of
ontologies a particular representation might support. For example, one might
decide that to be useful, an ontology written in RDF-Schema contains at
least two trees, one
for things and one for properties. (The common feature that everthing is a
URI is a fact about the
ontology of representation, not the ontology represented).    (08)

One would also ask what systems of axioms are equivalent to an "interesting"
subclass of ontology -
I would be surprised if everyone used the same axioms as those above to
define a tree.    (09)

I suppose this question is motivated by the concern that when
engineering a particular ontology, one needs to give comprehensible
guidelines to the engineer so that they don't accidentally produce an
incompatibility with any other ontology that their system may interact
with - particularly in aerospace with the ISO SC4 standards and the
ontologies they imply.    (010)

Sean Barker
Bristol, UK    (011)