Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontological Means for Systems Engineering

To: <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:58:31 -0000

Dear Ian,

Then we can add a third class, call it “System” and put that name in a NameType intentionally constructed by Matthew. The point was that the name doesn’t matter as long as we can identify the extent of the class. For example, I might decide to call the class you identified “widget”. Extensionally, it’s the same class, I just give it a different name. Because IDEAS/BORO has a sophisticated(ish) naming pattern, I know that when Canadians say “system” they are referring to a different class to the one you call “system”.

We didn’t have the option to impose a new definition of “system” on any of the parties.

[MW] That’s fine. My approach is usually to try to find the most general sense, and then qualify it to produce the more restricted senses. This has the advantage of giving you a model that shows the  relationships between them.

They had their own definitions, and a tiny ontology project was going to stop the combined systems engineering departments of some the largest defence agencies in the world from doing things their own way. The same goes inside companies, I should add.  This is why corporate taxonomies are all given a stiff ignoring by the users, and one of the reasons why all those “corporate data model” projects of the 1990s ended up producing something no-one ever used. Either the users don’t agree with the terminology (in which case, they dismiss it off hand), or they see a word they think they recognise and use the model/taxonomy in an unexpected manner.

[MW] Which is why with the DDM we (including you) tried hard to preserve the meaning the business gave to terms, but place them in the ontology such that they were correctly defined by the relationships they had to other entity types (especially subtype/supertype).

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 560 302 3685

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.

Cheers

--

Ian Bailey

www.modelfutures.com