Re: [ontolog-forum] mKR (was Thing and Class)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Mungall <cjm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:50:19 -0700

On Sep 15, 2008, at 9:48 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:    (01)

> Could you briefly outline what these 'pitfalls' are? So far, formal
> logic seems to me to be doing rather well. All the extent work in
> applied ontology (and I really do mean ALL) is based on techniques and
> analytical tools developed by formal logicians.    (02)

Do you really mean ALL?    (03)

I guess the truth of the statement depends on how you define "applied
ontology".    (04)

Almost all the real-world applications of ontologies I am aware of (in
bioinformatics) are in the realm of data mining. The extant work is
largely done - for better or for worse - using techniques and tools
developed by stats and probabilistic modeling savvy folks who wouldn't
know a modus ponens from a modus tollens.    (05)