Re: [ontolog-forum] mKR (was Thing and Class)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:48:27 -0500

On Sep 15, 2008, at 5:27 AM, Rob Freeman wrote:    (01)

> Rick,
>
> I enjoyed the "Truth and Meaning" paper by Soames you referenced. I
> was interested to see how philosophers are trying to deal with the
> failure of analycity typified by Quine etc.
>
> But basing "meaning" in "truth" seems cart about horse. I thought it
> was absolute values for "truth" which were most in question.
>
> Are you familiar with the approach taken by Jeurgen Schmidhuber and
> Marcus Hutter? Schmidhuber resolves incompleteness issues by equating
> "intelligence" with prediction. Marcus Hutter equates it with
> compression.
>
> http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/newai/newai.html
>
> http://prize.hutter1.net/
>
> Or course Schmidhuber and Hutter talk principally about "intelligence"
> not "meaning", but what is interesting is that by basing
> "intelligence" in prediction/compression, they manage to avoid the
> pitfalls of formal logic.    (02)

Could you briefly outline what these 'pitfalls' are? So far, formal
logic seems to me to be doing rather well. All the extent work in
applied ontology (and I really do mean ALL) is based on techniques and
analytical tools developed by formal logicians.    (03)

Pat Hayes    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)