Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 18:45:10 +0300
  ''The internet is replete with data that is "inappropriate" by being
outright false, but even with data that was validly captured and
 reported, it is not often easy to find out the values of the context
variables.''    (01)

That's correct and right. Here is a fresh example I got on the SW listing:    (02)

''I'm pleased to announce the Cypher 1.9 demo available now online. This
announcement proceeds the official release announcement to come in the next
few days containing feature details. The demo runs the Monrai Standard
dataset, and can be pointed against several SPARQL Endpoints, including
dbpedia.
Cypher is a natural language transcoder which generates the RDF triple or
SPARQL query representation of phrases and sentences.
Some example outputs are:
-  the person who played in a film (in dbpedia)
-  the writers who played in a film (in dbpedia)
-  the actors wrote what (in dbpedia)
-  the actors who are married wrote what (in dbpedia)
-  the presidents who were married to someone wrote what (in dbpedia)
-  the people who wrote some books (in dbpedia)
-  Bruce Willis stars in what (in dbpedia)
-  the people who were influenced by actors (in dbpedia)''    (03)

That's why I am suspicious of all sorts of cross-divisions,
cross-classifications and poly-hierarchies. One may classify some people,
say actors, according to age and gender, or according to marriage status,
age and gender, or by promiscuity, marriage status, age and gender, so on ad
infinitum. This is the sure way to generate an enormous heap of useless
data, leading to raw data big crunch, on which only statistical engines,
like Google, might profit, although temporally; crunch is crunch, even in
Africa. Apprehending this coming data megamess, good minds put forward the
big idea of ontology  for data-processing machines, ruling to classify all
things according to the real properties of essence, and not according to
accidental marks, singularities, and peculiarities.    (04)

Azamat Abdoullaev    (05)