Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Len Yabloko" <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 18:45:09 +0000
Rick and All

>Rob & All:
>
>Folks might get a chuckle out of my response to Anderson called "Signs
>of the Singularity and Why Chris Anderson and Nicholas Carr Won't Make
>the Next Cut" here ...
>
>http://phaneron.rickmurphy.org/?p=26    (01)

I did :-)
And I left a comment for you Rick.     (02)

My take on it is that we don't need to engage in unnecessary polarization or
politicization of what seems to be two facets of the same process. Instead we
should try to harmonize two approaches with each other. To which extend this is
possible ? that is the question. I don't have an answer, but I very interested
what others may offer.    (03)

>Rick
>
>Rob Freeman wrote:
>> I'll ignore your questions then, Pat.
>>
>> For those interested in the original thread I recommend a recent
>> enjoyable article by Wired editor Chris Anderson. It hints at the
>> broader issues from that thread eight months ago, such as our ability
>> to abstract "truth" into theory, and the utility of drawing
>> conclusions directly from data:
>>
>> WIRED MAGAZINE: 16.07
>>
>> The End of Theory
>>
>> http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/magazine/16-07/pb_theory
>>
>> As I said in the Funknet thread where this article came up, I don't
>> think this indicates an "End of Theory" so much as "the birth of the
>> theory that there can be lots more theories buried in a set of data
>> than we've ever imagined we needed to look for before."    (04)

I think what happens is not the "end" or "birth" of any theory. To me it looks
like an opportunity to expand the set of tools available for exploration of
data. For example, we no longer have to speak about what theories might be
buried in data - we can consider to keep some of them around, just in case.
This is the luxury people could not afford in the past. So many good theories
where buried (some forever). You see, computers will never supersede their
creators, but they may change us from partisans we are to ultimate pluralists.     (05)