Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 19:50:05 -0500

Rob Freeman wrote:
> Pat Hayes, and anyone else looking for ways to extract meaning from the Web.
>
> General meaningful classes are accessible by clustering words on their
> context. Classes found in that way don't have names until you give
> them names, and we have still have no way of reasoning with them
Exactly. These are not classes in any sense useful for ontology
engineering.
> , but
> basic meaningful classes can be found.
>
> See for instance Hinrich Schuetze's "Dimensions of Meaning":
>
> http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/23424.html.
>
> I don't see why it should not prove possible to reason with classes so
> defined.
You may be right. However, this paper was written in 1991, and AFAIK
nobody in the intervening 17 years has yet come up with any way to
perform such reasoning. Until someone does, I will not hold my breath.
>  I believe indeed that natural language can be thought of as a
> formal system over such classes (a formal system as distinct from a
> grammar.)

You may believe what you like, but the overwhelming empirical evidence
suggests that natural language is not a formal system of any kind.  But
I would be delighted if you could prove this wrong, by demonstrating
that it is indeed a formal system.    (01)

Pat