[ontolog-forum] ANN: UMBEL Publicly Released

To: public-esw-thes-request@xxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Frédérick Giasson <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bergman <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:50:41 -0500
Hi All,    (01)

As its editors and on behalf of our sponsors and contributors,
Fred Giasson and I would like to announce the public availability
of UMBEL.    (02)

UMBEL (Upper Mapping and Binding Exchange Layer) [1] is a
lightweight ontology for relating Web content and data to a
standard set of 20,000 subject concepts. Based on OpenCyc [2]
with a core reliance on the SKOS vocabulary [3], these subject
concepts have defined relationships between them, and can act as
semantic binding nodes for any data or Web content.    (03)

A further 1.5 million named entities have been extracted from
Wikipedia and mapped to the UMBEL reference structure with
cross-links to YAGO [4] and DBpedia [5]. The system can easily be
extended with additional dictionaries of named entities,
including ones specific to enterprises or domains.    (04)

UMBEL is provided as open source under the Creative Commons 3.0
Attribution-Share Alike license. The complete ontology with all
subject concepts, definitions, terms and relationships can be
freely downloaded [see 6].  All subject concepts and named
entities are available as Linked Data [see 6, 7].  Five volumes
of documentation [6] are also available.    (05)

The release is accompanied by about a dozen Web services [8] for
using or manipulating UMBEL, along with a new introductory slide
show [9].    (06)

Additional release information may be found on Fred's [10] or my
[11] separate blog postings.    (07)

We welcome those with interest or suggestions for improvements to
do so through the UMBEL discussion forum [12].  We will shortly
be putting easier services online for such input.    (08)

So, enjoy!  We look forward to your commentary, suggestions and
putting UMBEL under production-grade stress.  We know will be
doing the same!    (09)

Regards, Mike Bergman    (010)

[1]  http://www.umbel.org/
[2]  http://www.opencyc.org