Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: Ontolog invited speaker session - Dr. Mark Grea

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:54:43 -0400
Peter,    (01)

Thanks for posting the audio for Mark Greaves talk.  I wasn't
able to log in for the talk, but I read the slides.  The audio
covers some important points that are not in the slides:    (02)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_06_19    (03)

The Semantic MediaWiki is very important work, and since it is
available as open source, we should use it.    (04)

But one important point that Mark mentioned is that the reasoning
capabilities of current Semantic Web technology is very weak.
RDF(S), OWL, SPARQL, and RuleML are useful, but weak subsets
of Common Logic.    (05)

It's important for us to develop Common Logic as the growth path
for ontologies and to incorporate CL in the Semantic MediaWiki.    (06)

Anything currently represented in either the Semantic Web notations
or relational databases can be mapped to Common Logic.  And the
more compact CL notation is vastly more efficient in storage space,
transmission time, and computation time than the current Semantic
Web notations.    (07)

We should position CL as the foundation for Semantic Web 3.0.    (08)