Re: [ontolog-forum] Commercial semantic search offerings

To: <ray@xxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 11:09:46 +0200
Steve:

We wrote and publicly lunched such a system in 1998 whereby searchers were given a two phase set of results.  I believe it was heralded as the first true XML Search engine which made use of XML’s hierarchy to present back a path.  It came with an SDK to link it up to semantic topics by using xPath expressions equating to semantics in context.

The system was called GoXML and I may be able to still get a copy of the code base as it is not being used currently.

Here is how it worked.

  1. A searcher searched for a term like “Rocky”
  2. The index retrieved a list of “contexts” in which the term appeared.  It might look something like this:

Results sets:

     1.   //purchaseOrder/BuyerPerty/FirstName
     2.  //Geography/roads/descriptions
     3.  //Entertainment/Movies/1980s/Rocky4
     etc.

It was always envisioned that these could be aliased to an ontological set of concepts

4. From there, the user selected their context and it could either presented a set of results or the capability to dig deeper into specific semantics.

Please contact me if you are interested in testing this system and I’ll see if I can set the code.

Duane