Re: [ontolog-forum] Commercial semantic search offerings

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: dbedford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 09:23:07 -0400

Dave,

Yes, it would seem that demonstration fits into the third type that I was referring to.  What they do with the entity extraction, though, depends on what the underlying search index architecture is.  If it continues to be a full-text (non-parametric and therefore unsemantic...) structure, you will lose the semantic value at the search processing level.

These issues are not new, but because we have focused so heavily on full text for the past 20 years, we've forgotten some of the basic issues.

Best regards,

Denise