[ontolog-forum] Fwd: Data Models v. Ontologies (again)

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Len Yabloko" <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 17:31:26 +0000
Sean-    (01)

>Len
>
>       Thanks. I guess I would formulate the "common ground" as
>entailing an identity transformation, and say the problem is verifying
>(automatically) that the identity is the correct transformation.     (02)

It is more than that. Identity is not enough for operations on categories.
You need full power of composition and decomposition. I am not a mathematician,
but I believe formally Category is defined by composition that entails both:
associativity of objects within category and identity transformation (morphism).    (03)

>       The alternative is component reuse - though I'm not sure if
>ontologies give an advantage over data model component reuse.    (04)

I don't see it as alternative. Re-use requires composition (see above)    (05)

-Len    (06)