Re: [ontolog-forum] Data Models v. Ontologies (again)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 10:08:42 -0400
Sean    (01)

> 2) My interest not personal data on web sites, but heavyweight
> industrial applications where reliability is important. Where data
> standards run to the thousands of pages, and exchanges of millions of
> items run for tens of years. We cannot afford to shut a factory down for
> a couple of hours to rebuild a database because someone saw two entities
> had the same name.

I totally agree, it is not advisable to shut down operation while
maintenance is being done, as I understand in manufacture faiover
infrusttructures allow maintenance to be done on the run
However, two entities with the same name could cause enourmous
disruption to processes somehwer along the line, especially when
databases get merged (argh)    (02)

As 'system analysts' we would weigh the loss caused by the disruption
of two hours shutdown in comparison to
incalculable disruption if two processes cross wires, or even small,
constant losses caused by ongoing inefficiencies in deadling with the
duplication and redundancy
Would mend on the run not be possible, we would advise to chose the lesser evil    (03)

re.     Knowledge engineering is engineering in so far as it has a
theoretical basis in ontology structure, however much of it is a craft
working in applied metaphysics.(    (04)

READ : applied to everything that existswithing the boundary)    (05)

hehehehe    (06)

cheers    (07)

PDM    (08)

> Sean Barker
> BAE SYSTEMS - Advanced Technology Centre
> Bristol, UK
> +44(0) 117 302 8184
>
> BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
> Registered Office: Warwick House, PO Box 87, Farnborough Aerospace
> Centre, Farnborough, Hants, GU14 6YU, UK
> Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687

Paola Di Maio
School of IT
www.mfu.ac.th