Re: [ontolog-forum] Search engine for the ontology

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: scorek <scorek@xxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:42:11 +0100
Hey again,    (01)

First of all, thank you all for the responses and the discussion - it is great
that this forum is always so alive;)    (02)

> Having built the same type of search engine from 1995-1999:    (03)

> http://iandavis.com/blog/1999/07/goxmlsearchengine    (04)

> I can tell you in advance there are huge bloating issues with the index.
> These are the main pain points to avoid.  Google and other advanced indexes
> use pre-cached searches with a combination of B-tree and linked list look
> ups to get the index ratio down to about 1/8 of the size of the average web
> page.  Contextual engines start in at around 1.5 X and get uglier the more
> you add, although we eventually got GoXML down to around 3/5 of the raw size
> without throwing away any meaningful information.    (05)

> What both Yahoo and Google do is use ontological links combined with
> secondary mechanisms like geo-mapping and persistent knowledge of
> individuals to guess the right ontological context.  This works fairly well
> and humans are constantly refining the trees (DMoz).    (06)

> Using a KB is not difficult to overlay as a relationship between instances
> in your index and nodes in an ontology/taxonomy.  The real problem is how to
> scale it.    (07)

> What is your intended scale?  How big will your index be?  What are
> acceptable parameters for search results?    (08)

> These are the questions I recommend focusing on first.  I am happy to share
> more with you and I might even be able to find you a code base somewhere
> (written in ANSI CPP)    (09)

Duane thanks for the tips! I need some time to answer the
questions and analyze your solution - after that I will probably try
and reach you on your e-mail!    (010)

Pawel    (011)