Re: [ontolog-forum] Imagery in Scientific Thought

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Dennis Thomas <dlthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:30:06 -0800
Chris,    (01)

I accept this criticism.  In reading back I have made some unfounded
statements that deserved criticism.  I am,  however, continually
trying to improve my understanding of our own offering and other
semantic technologies.  It is not my intention to make enemies of the
good people on this forum. Regarding my assertions about our tool,
those can only be validated with a fully developed product that
others can test.  I don't plan to say anything more about it until I
can offer a limited beta to this group - that should be an
interesting experience!?    (02)

Otherwise, I am sure that many would agree that your wit, sarcastic
repartee and deep knowledge have been of great benefit and enjoyment
to this forum.    (03)

Dennis    (04)

On Dec 18, 2007, at 9:16 AM, Christopher Menzel wrote:    (05)

On Dec 17, 2007, at 11:00 AM, Dennis L. Thomas wrote:
> John,
>
> Thanks for this reasoned reply.  I am forever reminded whenever
> submitting to this forum that I will pay for any off-handed remarks
> or "not-to-par" comments in the way of unveiled condescension by
> some.    (06)

Well, my apologies for my somewhat snarky reply if indeed your
intention is to be a good-faith participant in this forum.  But you
have a history both here and elsewhere of making exceedingly
controversial, yet entirely unargued, assertions about the failures of
existing knowledge engineering paradigms -- failures which you then
claim your company just happens to have overcome with its
revolutionary technology (which, as it happens, is entirely closed,
proprietary and unvetted by the scientific community).  Your post
about the inability of mathematics (with its "requirement for self-
consistency") to represent change blithely dismissed 30+ years of
research on the topic without argument, and hence seemed to me to be
heading in the same dubious direction.    (07)

It is possible, however, that my reaction was based too much upon this
past history, and I'm willing to accept that your post was a good-
faith contribution.  I'll assume so in the future unless there are
good reasons to think otherwise.    (08)

-chris    (09)

Dennis L. Thomas
Knowledge Foundations, Inc.
Ofc (714) 890-5984