Re: [ontolog-forum] Legacy systems

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:19:06 -0500
Sean,    (01)

I strongly endorse that recommendation:    (02)

SB> May I add
 >
 > 7) Encapsulate multiple legacy systems, using some form
 > of "active encapsulation", such that a service request is
 > fulfilled by taking information/functionality from multiple
 > legacy systems. Here, the active encapsulation agent has
 > the role of decomposing a service request into calls to each
 > legacy system and composing the response.    (03)

In fact, I believe that encapsulation is the most general and
adaptable approach, which can accommodate almost anything and
everything in a systematic way -- not just legacy systems.    (04)

That is the approach I recommended in the following two papers:    (05)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/arch.htm
    Architectures for Intelligent Systems    (06)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/gal4fmf.htm
    Graphics and Languages for the FMF    (07)

Those two papers were published in 2002 and 2004, and we have
done considerably more work in implementing and using the
Flexible Modular Framework (FMF).    (08)

The minimum overhead for a single module is 8K bytes (note K,
not M or G) plus whatever software is used in the module, which
can be anything from a trivial little sensor to a dedicated
hardware device or an enormous legacy system.  We have used
the FMF to implement societies of interacting agents, which can
be located anywhere across the Internet.  And we've been able
to have over 10,000 agents running simultaneously on a laptop.    (09)