Re: [ontolog-forum] Asynchronous processes -- was NASA-Ontolog OKDMS

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 21:46:55 -0500
Gary,    (01)

There are many different ways of organizing the optional modules,
and different versions are likely to be better suited to different
kinds of problems.    (02)

 > I was thinking of the use of modular addition, containing axioms,
 > that build on sparse upper level ontologies.    (03)

When stated at that level of generality, I have no objections.    (04)

 > In particular I was thinking of Gangemi et al's (2005) use of
 > modules he calls Ontology Design Patterns (ODPs).  They build  ODPs
 > on the general entities defined in their foundational ontology.    (05)

They have a lot of good ideas.  Other people also have a lot of good
ideas.  I think it would be useful to compare them within a common
framework, such as Common Logic.    (06)