[ontolog-forum] supporting pragmatics

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 15:07:24 +0700

Please help me answer a q that is bugging me today

to what extent  RDF/OWL standards support 'pragmatics'?
I mean, until now I tought of the semantic web supporting semantics, now from what we discuss it seems that
context of meaning is contained in pragmatics

Not sure if its the same omelette that we are cooking or a different one

from what I comprehend,  as triples represent (a) relationship (object predicate subject) and as discussed, quads
and n-relationships can possibly be used to support more complex logical relations, when surely we can use
rdf to represent pragmatics

if not, whats next then?

if so, then, how can the complexity of pragmatic (contextual) dimension of information (data, content, etc) be measured
and how can we figure out what is the most efficient way to represent them using a schema?

only found a couple of papers so far

http://lsdis.cs.uga.edu/SemNSF/Singh-Position.pdf

thanks a lot for helping me to get out of this dilemma

--
Paola Di Maio
School of IT