[ontolog-forum] Endorsing the Proposal to have ISWC 2009 in the Northern

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mike Dean <mdean@xxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:49:04 -0700
Further to recent discussions and that at our Ontolog conference call
today, there is an ongoing initiative led by Leo Obrst (MITRE) and
Mike Dean (BBN). They are working up a proposal for the International
Semantic Web Conference (ISWC) 2009 to be held in the Northern
Virginia/Greater Washington DC Area of the United States.    (01)

1. The leads of this initiative are looking for a letter of
endorsement [1] as a form of support which Mike will present to the
ISWC Organizers along with the proposal (when he travels to Korea for
ISWC 2007 this coming November.)    (02)

2. Leo's suggested draft of the endorsement letter simply reads:    (03)

//
Letter of Endorsement for ISWC 2009 Northern Virginia/Greater
Washington DC Proposal    (04)

Date:    (05)

To Whom It May Concern:    (06)

I strongly support the proposal to host ISWC 2009 in the Northern
Virginia/Greater Washington DC, USA area.    (07)

I am very interested in participating in ISWC 2009 if it is held in
this location, and will seek my organization's sponsorship for this
event.    (08)

Sincerely,    (09)

YourName
//    (010)

While ONTOLOG is not in a position to provide any sort of monetary
support, we could, at the least, encourage our membership to
participate and contribute content.    (011)

3. I move that ONTOLOG furnishes this endorsement (as qualified above)
as a sign of our support. (Disclosure: I am not from the Greater
Washington DC Area, but a lot of the Ontolog community members are.)
... I need someone to second this motion.    (012)

4. Upon the motion being seconded, let's open this up for discussion
for one calendar week. At the end of that period, we will either (a)
summarily carry the motion if we don't see major objections; (b) put
it to a vote by the active members, if we are split between supporters
and objectors, or (c) defeat the motion if the general sentiment is
against providing the endorsement.    (013)

Regards.  =ppy    (014)

Peter Yim
Co-convener, ONTOLOG    (015)

P.S. For your information, ISWC 2007 (alongside ASWC 2007) is being
held this coming November 11~15, 2007 at Busan, Korea - see details
at: http://iswc2007.semanticweb.org/
... ISWC 2008 is slated to be held at Karlsruhe, Germany. ... I
understand that "Early Registration" for ISWC 2007 has just been
extended to 30-Sep-2007. Therefore, if you are serious about tracking
the progress of the Semantic Web, register for the conference now!    (016)

P.P.S. I'm sure Leo and Mike will appreciate if YOUR ORGANIZATION can
provide a similar letter of endorsement to them too. Therefore, if you
are in a position to get that, please! Letters of endorsement should
be forwarded to Dr. Leo Obrst at <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx> on/before end
October 2007.    (017)

=ppy
--    (018)