Re: [ontolog-forum] Correspondence Theory Of Truth -- Discussion

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:18:33 -0500
>Jon,
>
>Peirce's intention was the opposite of terminating
>the correspondence theory:
>
>JA> In the meantime let this be our maxim:
>  > Not to bury the correspondence theory
>  > but to analyze it, terminable or else.
>
>He made the point that all of our so-called knowledge is
>fallible, but some aspects are better established than others.
>Scientists have achieved some very close correspondences
>between language (or other sign systems) and some aspects of
>reality, but a complete and perfect correspondence is a goal
>that may take humanity (and whatever species they may evolve
>into or be replaced by) an open-ended amount of time.    (01)

Neither fallibility, nor 'closeness' of
measurements to reality, nor how measurements are
done, have anything at all to do with the
correspondence theory of truth. All this
discussion is just muddling (any muddying) a
simple, clear and rather obvious idea. When I say
that John Sowa is human, I don't need very much
time to achieve a "complete and perfect"
correspondence in order to figure out what that
sentence's truth-conditions are.    (02)

I welcome the time, hopefully in the relatively
near future, when this forum can return to topics
relevant to actual ontological engineering. In
the meantime, does anyone know how to write an
email filter that automatically trashes any
message which mentions Peirce?    (03)

Pat    (04)

>John

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)