Re: [ontolog-forum] Car attitudes

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 08:26:37 -0700
On 8/3/07 7:34 AM, "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> Yes, many of our inanimate "friends" seem to have qualities that don't
> reduce to the standard explanations.  In part this shows our lack of
> understanding about the states they get into as complex mechanisms along
> with what seems to be the human bias to see agency in our universe.    (02)

This could easily lead into another ontolog forum discuss/perma-thread
on....    (03)

"artificial intelligence"    (04)

or more direct, what constitutes true intelligence.    (05)

I agree that human perceptions are probably the single biggest issue for a
lot of ontology development.  Attributes like solid, colors, smell, weight
etc are all based on our own perceptions. A timeline is based on our
inability to perceive time as anything but a linear sequence.  Nothing that
has been detected in our universe is necessarily solid, weight is relative
and colors are our perceptions of the visible light spectrum absorbed by
various objects.    (06)

Does the ultimate ontology reflect absolute truth or should it lean towards
our perceptions or should it try to reconcile both?    (07)

Duane    (08)

> As I said in another context, at times it humbling to think how far the
> gap is between reality and our  formulations of it, but I balance this
> with a sense of progress being made despite the sometimes erratic
> pattern.
>

> Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.
> Spatial Ontology Community of Practice (SOCoP)
> http://www.visualknowledge.com/wiki/socop
> Executive Secretariat
> Semantic Technology
> EM&I