Re: [ontolog-forum] Disaster Management ontology BOF in Delft

To: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 05:39:22 EST
Paola,    (01)

There are many ways of classifying anything, including events.    (02)

>I am starting to work on a schema to define/classify events
>Would you be able to save us some time and provide us with pointers to
>existing classification/definitions
>such as
>
>vocabulary for : emergency, crisis, disaster, other terms
>events descriptions, codes, dependencis, triggers for the events that your
>workshop is concerned with
>any other useful references    (03)

C. S. Peirce discovered a widely applicable scheme for
classifying anything:    (04)

 1. First, according to characteristics that are inherent in
    the thing itself.    (05)

 2. Second, according to its relationship(s) to something else.    (06)

 3. Third, according to the way it brings other things into
    some relationship.    (07)

For example, a certain situation could be described in 3 ways:    (08)

 1. Water standing 2 meters deep over an area of one hectare.
    This is a description of what is observed without relating
    it to anything else.    (09)

 2. A flood.  This characterizes the situation as an abnormal,
    usually temporary, condition.  The word 'pond', for example,
    might describe something very similar, but as a condition
    that is expected to be normal and relatively long lasting.    (010)

 3. A disaster or emergency.  This characterizes the situation
    as an abnormal state that causes significant damage to
    something.  A disaster causes a great deal of harm, which
    might not be correctable (e.g., some people drown).  But
    an emergency is usually something that could get worse if
    not corrected soon.    (011)

Peirce's categories of First, Second, and Third are metalevel
categories because they can be used repeatedly to generate
such triads of categories.    (012)