Re: [ontolog-forum] what is a proposition?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:28:16 -0500
> The OMG definition is simply that a PROPOSITION is the linking of
> two or more CONCEPTS.    (01)

I suppose it all depends on what "linking" amounts to, but how does
one represent the following (apparent) proposition as the linking of
two or more concepts?    (02)

"For every positive integer n>1, there is a unique increasing finite
sequence of prime numbers p1, ..., pm and a unique sequence e1, ...,
em of positive integers such n = PROD_0<iČn(exp(pi,ei))."    (03)

Here PROD is the general multiplication operator and exp is the
exponential function.  (This is of course just a statement of the
Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic that every integer >1 has a unique
prime factorization.)    (04)

My concern is that the proposed understanding of "proposition" is
focused too much on simple atomic sentences like "John loves Mary" or
"MAMMAL is a subclass of ANIMAL".  It's hard in particular to see
where quantification fits into the picture.  RDF, for example, gets a
modicum of quantification through the use of triples with so-called
"blank nodes".  Is there anything comparable in OMG?    (05)

Chris Menzel    (06)