Re: [ontolog-forum] what is a proposition?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ingvar Johansson <ingvar.johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 12:40:17 +0200
John F. Sowa schrieb:
> Ingvar and Kathy,
>
> I have some sympathy with both of you, but I'd like to restate
> the issues in a somewhat different way.
>       (01)

Dear John,    (02)

The appearances notwithstanding, I agree with everything you say. Just
one comment below.    (03)

> The branches of philosophy labeled 'ontology', 'epistemology',
> and 'philosophy of science' are respectable academic fields,
> in which a lot of good work has been published.  There are
> newer, but still respectable fields, such as philosophy of
> language, philosophy of logic, philosophy of law, etc.
>
> Academic boundaries are useful in promoting methodologies for
> analyzing a subject.  That can be very productive -- at the
> beginning.  But after a few decades, the methodologies tend to
> create barriers that can become counterproductive.
>
> IJ> You seem to be using the term "study epistemology" in quite
>  > another sense than I am.  To me it means to study a certain
>  > part of philosophy, but to you it seems to mean what empirical
>  > scientists have been doing throughout the ages.
>
> That's an example of what I believe is a terrible barrier --
>       (04)

I should have been more careful here. Normally, I use to say that I
regard philosophy, science, and common sense as partly overlapping areas.    (05)

all the very best,
Ingvar    (06)

--
Ingvar Johansson