Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Re: OWL and lack of identifiers

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Waclaw Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 11:06:57 +0200

John F. Sowa wrote:
> Wacek,
>
> That is clearly an objective statement about somebody's
> subjective opinion:
>
>  > It sounds as if my saying 'the earth is flat' were
>  > an objective statement, while 'i think that the earth
>  > is flat' were a subjective statement.  Is my saying
>  > 'she says the earth is flat' an objective or a
>  > subjective statement?
>
> In fact, journalists take advantage of that loophole:
>
>   1. Opinions in a newspaper are supposed to be confined
>      to the editorial pages.
>
>   2. The news pages are supposed to be objective.
>
>   3. But the news pages can contain quotations by
>      politicians who state their opinions.
>
>   4. Therefore, journalists can claim objectivity while
>      biasing their reporting by their choice of quotations.
>     (01)

yes, but here there are two separate levels:    (02)

- what could be called 'declarative' objectivity (making only objective
claims)    (03)

- what could be called 'operational' subjectivity (choosing among those
objective claims in a way so as to reflect one's subjective opinion).    (04)

we discussed the former, and while you are correct, conflation of these
two ways of being objective/subjective further fuzzifies the distinction
  between objective and subjective claims.    (05)

vQ    (06)