Re: [ontolog-forum] OWL and lack of identifiers

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter F Brown" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:49:25 +0200
Wacek:    (01)

The concept of "well-formedness" in XML is now well established even if formal
logicians poke holes in the terminological inconsistency.    (02)

The problem is a hangover from HTML where many HTML documents, though
syntactically incorrect, were still parsed without browsers falling over. It is
precisely the high fault-tolerance of most browsers that keeps the Web turning
today. If only well-formed documents passed muster, the Web as we know it would
be a very different place. Some would argue that would be a good thing but if
the problem was to have been addressed it should have been done so 15 years
ago, not now. As it is, millions of mere mortal non-programmers grokked the
basics of writing HTML and getting sites up and running, and that was
considered more important than logical purity. That's why repeated attempts to
lock the door after the horse had bolted, failed.    (03)

XML (re-)introduced the concept of "well-formed" in order to redress the
balance but alas there are many tools out there that still generate crap code,
whether in HTML, XHTML or another XML application.    (04)

"Well-formedness" therefore, although tautological, serves as a useful badge of
conformance for those who do try to make the effort.    (05)

Peter    (06)