Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Re: OWL and lack of identifiers

To: Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 19:23:49 -0500
>Hi all,
>you may want to have a look at the IRW workshop
>from WWW2006 [1], and in particular to the IRE
>(Identity of Resources and Entities) ontology,
>presented in several papers, e.g. "The bourne
>identity of a web resource" available [1],
>"Towards an OWL ontology for identity on the
>web", available from [2], and "A grounded
>ontology for identity and reference of web
>resources", available soon from [3].
>
>In IRE, "identifiers" (e.g. URIs) are
>distinguished on a formal ground from web
>resources ("realizations of information"),
>"information objects" (e.g. the information
>content of a web resource), and from entities
>that information objects can be "about". A set
>of "proxy" relations are defined to distinguish
>the kinds of aboutness that a resource has wrt
>entities. Alignments to RDFa and some commonly
>used web ontologies are also provided.
>
>Sorry for not entering into the debate in more
>detail, hope to contribute soon.    (01)

Aldo, can you briefly say whether your IRE agrees
with the TAG pronouncements about URI meanings?
Or is your aim to base the whole theory on a
sounder basis?    (02)

Pat    (03)

>Cheers
>Aldo
>
>[1] http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin/irw2006/
>[2] http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Publications/CEUR-WS//Vol-201/
>[3] http://okkam.dit.unitn.it/i3/index.php?location=home
>
>At 16:51 +0200 14-04-2007, Hans Teijgeler wrote:
>>Hi Bill,
>>
>>When you speak about "book" there are two possibilities:
>>1- you speak about a class of representation
>>that is an aggregate of other classes of
>>representation (strings, reals, binaries)
>>2- you speak about members of that class, being
>>ink-on-paper or pixels-on-screen, i.e. physical
>>objects that are copies of that book
>>
>>Normally you use 1- and use a URI for that. You
>>use 2- only in case you want to manage
>>individual copies, such as of a contract.
>>
>>Both can be related to as many identifiers as
>>you need by relating it to one or more strings.
>>In the 2- case such an identifier could be the
>>copy number. For that (and other) reason(s) we
>>represent strings etc as classes with a
>>datatype property. That string class has its
>>own URI. It can be typed as "English" (or,
>>denormalized for FOL fans, it can be made a
>>subclass of something like "English text").
>>
>>Regards,
>>Hans

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)