[ontolog-forum] Proceedings: Probabilistic Reasoning and Ontology Evalua

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 03:45:40 -0800
On Thursday 29-March-2007, Dr. Steven Ray (NIST) presented the
5th Event in the Joint NIST-Ontolog-NCOR "Ontology Evaluation &
Measurement" Mini-Series. It was a panel discussion on the topic:
"Probabilistic Reasoning and Ontology Evaluation."  On the expert
panel were Professor Kenneth Baclawski (Northeastern University),
Professor Kathryn Blackmond Laskey & Dr. Paulo Costa (both from
George Mason University), and  Dr. Terry Janssen (Lockheed
Martin).  Professor Baclawski, Professor Laskey and Dr. Costa
alternated between there opening briefings and explored with us
the landscape in ontological engineering efforts related to
uncertainty reasoning and enumerated the goals of those work,
with which we could use as criteria and dimensions for evaluating
  the approaches and ontologies. And, as Dr. Janssen pointed out,
this is a very important area that should be given the attention
its due. The consensus is that we should follow-up and create
more opportunities for exchange and collaboration like this for
the community in the not-too-distant future.    (01)

Our appreciations go out to Professor Baclawski, Professor
Laskey, Dr. Costa and Dr. Janssen for sharing their work and
insight with us. Thanks to Dr. Ray for championing this
mini-series; and, as always, to all the participants for joining
us and for contributing to the discussion we had during the session.    (02)

Proceedings of the session are captured on our wiki page, at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_03_29    (03)

In particular, full audio recording of the session is now
available - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_03_29#nidVJS     (04)

... we are glad we have captured this session into our archives
and have it preserved for posterity. This presentation and the
ensuing discussion contribute to yet another significant item in
the body of knowledge on ontology and ontological engineering
that our community is building together. Thanks again!    (05)

Best regards. =ppy    (06)

P.S. Upcoming events: (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidW)    (07)

* Thursday, 12-April-2007 - Dr. Matthew West will be presenting
the 6th Event in the "Database And Ontology" Mini-Series - Mr.
Edward Barkmeyer from NIST will be our invited speaker and will
be giving a talk on "Ontologies as the Next Generation
Information Models."    (08)

* Monday & Tuesday, 23 & 24-April-2007 - the "Ontology Summit
2007" face-to-face workshops and symposium will be held at NIST
(Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA) is now open. There will be 3
technical meetings (Apr-23 morning and afternoon, and Apr-24
morning) and an open public "Ontology Summit 2007" symposium
(April-24 afternoon). On-site attendees need to register with
NIST and remote attendees should e-mail me offline. Register now!
Please refer to registration details at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2007#nidV3W    (09)

* An archive of noteworthy past Ontolog events can be found at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ    (010)

Tx. =ppy
--     (011)

Peter P. Yim wrote Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:55:12 -0800:    (012)

Subject: Re: [ontolog-invitation] Topic: Probabilistic Reasoning
and Ontology Evaluation - Thu 2007.03.29 - NIST-Ontolog-NCOR
mini-series on "Ontology Measurement and Evaluation"    (013)

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=3&day=29&year=2007&hour=10&min=30&sec=0&p1=224    (017)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_03_29    (021)

 > > This will be a virtual session over an augmented conference
 > > call. The session is expected to include two briefings from
 > > our panelists (about 30 minutes each) followed by an open
 > > discussion among the panelists and the participants. The
 > > entire session will be recorded and made available as open
 > > content under the prevailing Ontolog IPR policy (see:
 > > http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32).    (022)

 > > As usual, this Ontolog event is open to all. I look forward
 > > to having you at this session. Please pass the announcement
 > > along to those who might be interested to join us too.    (023)

 > > *RSVP* by by emailing me at <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> offline so
 > > that we can prepare enough resources to support everyone.
 > > (Kindly include your affiliation and job title if you aren't
 > > already a member of the Ontolog community.)
 > >

 > > Regards. =ppy
 > >
 > > Peter P. Yim Co-convener, Ontolog    (024)

See the list of archived Ontolog past events under:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ
Join this list: mailto:ontolog-invitation-join@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Leave this list: mailto:ontolog-invitation-leave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Message Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-invitation/