Re: [ontolog-forum] tasteful tags...

To: "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 13:44:49 +0700
Hay Pat    (01)

I can see that you do not draw from  etymology from what you say in
many of your posts
and this is why maybe some of your value judgements appear misguided    (02)

etymon:
a simple form inferred as the common basis from which related words in
several languages can be derived by linguistic processes    (03)

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn    (04)

On 3/10/07, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> >Etymology studies the true meaning of words, and their real value,
>
> No, really, it studies the history of their meanings. But the point
> is that this history may well not be what they mean now. It is just a
> fact that word meanings evolve, sometimes quite rapidly.
>
> The value of a word lies in its utility in affording communication
> between language users, nothing more. The history is largely
> irrelevant to this. In any case, many useful words have no
> significant history ('laser', 'blog', 'Web')
>
> Pat Hayes
> --
> IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
> 40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
> Pensacola                       (850)202 4440   fax
> FL 32502                        (850)291 0667    cell

Paola Di Maio
School of IT, MFU.ac.th