Re: [ontolog-forum] Automatized databased generated Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 11:00:59 +0700
John and all,
I also think that building an ontology 'bottom up', from the logical
and relational schema
abstracting the representation of conceptual schema, is an interesting
methodological option.    (01)

In a way, it's a kind of reverse engineering approach, that would
produce an exact ontological representation of an existing  'system'.    (02)

We often use this techinque implicitly, and we call it 'mapping'
(knowledge, data, metadata, schema mapping).    (03)

However, in order to build a relational schema we need a conceptual
schema first, and some form of ontology needs to support the
conceptual schema development
So in the development lifecycle terms, we need the product of what we
are trying to achieve (the conceptuaization) before it can be
generated by the associated relational schema that is derived from it.
  How do we go about that?    (04)

This problem could perhaps be overcome by undertaking the schema
development iteratively, which means have a notional, semantic,
conceptual schema first, developed based on a first analysis, derive
the logical and relational schemas from that, then abstract the exact
map of the representation of the ontology from the relational schema,
as suggested in the first post.    (05)

If we chose this method however, we should be aware of its limitation.
A logical and relational schemas are often the result of some
modelling exercise, and of some compromises that we make at system
design level to 'get the job done'
It's surely not a complete nor true representation of reality, but of
a model to fit a precise purpose andor function.
An ontology derived from a conceptual schema can only be a 'partial'
knowledge representation, ie the ontology of a 'closed' system, and
never the ontology of a domain, of an open system or of an upper
ontology.    (06)

So I would think that this method is suitable mainly for functional
purposes, and
suited only to some cases, but surely it should be in the 'manual of
ontology develpment'    (07)

Cheers    (08)

Paola Di Maio    (09)

Paola Di Maio