Re: [ontology-summit] this-time-really-the-ontology-summit [was - PLEASE

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ontology Summit Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 12:04:39 -0800
All,    (01)

I appreciate all those who were contributing to nudging the
conversation back on track. ... We do need that!    (02)

Please note that the tag line for "Ontology Summit 2007" has just
been adopted[1], and therefore, our initiative is now officially
going to be referred to as:    (03)

   "Ontology Summit 2007 - Ontology, Taxonomy, Folksonomy:
Understanding the Distinctions"    (04)

(I'll make a separate post on this shortly.)    (05)

I did not post this yesterday because I didn't want this hoist
this right in the middle of the folksonomy 'debate' (not
realizing that the conversation would still be going on after a
few exchanges.)    (06)

For those who were at last week's Tom Gruber wonderful invited
talk, one may, at least, gather that there is more support behind
"folksonomies" than most people realize here. I believe the use
of that term, or the fact that some people within the web 2.0
community even calls that "ontologies" is not what we are out to
do at "Ontology Summit 2007" (more about this on my next post.)    (07)

And, by the way, I did a google on "ontology", "taxonomy" and
"folksonomy", and these are the results:    (08)

   "ontology"  - ~12,200,000 matches
   "taxonomy"  - ~31,700,000 matches
   "folksonomy" - ~9,720,000 matches    (09)

Considering the numbers of years these terms have been around,
"folksonomy" isn't doing too bad after all.    (010)

Tom Gruber (who defined the term "ontology" in the sense we apply
to its use in computer science, artificial intelligence and the
semantic web these days) has Thomas Vander Wal (who coined the
term "folksonomy" back in 2002) in his TagCommons community.
Let's see if we can get them to provide their perspectives on
helping us 'Understanding the Distinctions' (I did extend the
invitation to Tom during the 3/1/2007 Ontolog session[2] -  ).    (011)

Thanks & regards.  =ppy    (012)

P.S.
[1]  The tag line for Ontology Summit 2007 was adopted during our
organizing committee conference call yesterday - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2007/OrganizingCommitteeMeeting_2007_03_06    (013)

[2]  See:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_03_01
Telephone playback for Tom's Mar-1 session on "Grande Challenges
for Ontology Design" is already available. I have been derelict
in putting up the mp3 audio archive of that session (because I
was traveling all last week, and got caught up in some
emergencies the last couple of days, but it'll be ready today or
latest by tomorrow, I promise.  =ppy
--    (014)