Re: [ontolog-forum] Levels

To: Kathryn Blackmond Laskey <klaskey@xxxxxxx>, Chris Menzel <chris.menzel@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:12:28 -0600
>You're right that import statements should not be considered part of
>an ontology.  I agree it's the imported axioms that are part of the
>ontology.    (01)

Wait. Of course the imports statements are part
of the ontology. What are you guys talking about?    (02)

>Kathy
>
>At 7:02 PM -0600 2/11/07, Christopher Menzel wrote:

>>>   Wouldn't you want to require your ontology to explicitly name the
>>>   ontologies from which it was drawing terms? Otherwise, we could have
>>>   any number of meanings assigned to the terms not defined in the
>>>   ontology, if there were multiple external ontologies that defined
>>>   them in conflicting ways.
>>
>>I take it that was implicit in John's last sentence there (though his
>>use of "may be defined" does hint that he's leaving it open in the
>>way your response suggests).  But let's assume that in a complete
>>example John would have included some relevant URLs -- more exactly,
>>some "import" statements in which URLs are arguments    (03)

BUt those are not synonyms. And the first doesn't
make sense, since a URI by itself isn't a
statement.    (04)

>  -- that point to
>>ontologies that axiomatize "letter", "in", etc.  Contrary to what it
>>seems you are suggesting here (forgive me if I'm wrong), I don't
>>believe it would be correct to think of those import statements as
>>part of John's ontology.    (05)

Sure it would. Import statements are as much part
of an ontology as any other statements are.    (06)

>  An import statement is metadata; it is
>>simply a mechanism to support re-use on open networks, an efficient
>  >alternative to writing down externally located axioms explicitly.    (07)

No, it is an assertion. It even is in CL: check
out the spec., which gives an actual model theory
for it. (imports <name>) is true when
I(I(<name>)) is not false, in essence (its a bit
more complicated than that)    (08)

Pat    (09)

>  It
>>is those externally located axioms themselves, not the statements by
>>which they are imported, that are part of John's ontology.
>>
>>Chris Menzel

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (011)