Re: [ontolog-forum] Defining Concept

To: patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Charles D Turnitsa <CTurnits@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:42:11 -0500
Patrick,

 Yes, You and I are in agreement on Universal.   My thumbnail definition that I gave did not have the associated establishment for the terms that I used.

 When I say "universal non-divisible idea" I mean this:

 Universal extends only through the domain that the ontology is intended to serve.  If the ontology is for (example 1) Micro-Biology, then the "concepts" should all have an agreed to universal meaning to practitioners and experts within the Micro-Biology domain.

 Non-Divisible also extends only through the domain that the ontology is intended to serve.  If the ontology is for (example 2) Urban Traffic, then many of the entities that will exist (car-types, car-instances, other vehicles, pedestrians, etc) will be partially defined by exhibiting the "concept" of GROUND MOBILITY.  This does not satisfy the definition of a "concept", because it is divisible - it is easy to see that there may be some entities that have a different type of movement capability (AIR MOBILITY for helicopters, for instance), so MOBILITY is the non-divisible here.  The addition of either Ground or Air would be a property assigned to the entity in question.

 Aside from what I am trying to do to improve my definition, I have to say that I don't see how something as subjective as an idea can be universal outside of a particular domain, which I believe is similar to what was decided at last years summit.

Chuck

Charles Turnitsa
Project Scientist
Virginia Modeling, Analysis & Simulation Center
Old Dominion University Research Foundation
7000 College Drive
Suffolk, Virginia 23435
(757) 638-6315 (voice)
(757) 686-6214 (fax)