Re: [ontolog-forum] XML and Ontologies

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Owen_Ambur@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: ahassam@xxxxxxxx, kcm@xxxxxxxxxxxx, swebb@xxxxxxxxx, aschwartz@xxxxxxx, Kenneth.B.Sall@xxxxxxxx
From: Joshua Powers <jpowersbaseball@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 07:48:47 -0800 (PST)
These kinds of issues are also addressed in AI
planning languages, where an agent must make a plan to
meet some goal, and has formal knowledge of specific
'sub-goals' that must be met in order to satisfy the
top-level goal.  You could substitute 'objective'
anywhere I wrote goal above and get pretty much the
same meaning.  The planning formalizations need a bit
more than simply part-of (meronymy) links, as time
ordering and whether states of affairs are fluents
(persisting) or 'point-in-time' (happen once is
enough) matter to the successful reaching of a goal.
Some good AI planning formalisms:    (01)

STRIPS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STRIPS
SHOP:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/shop/description.html
PRODIGY:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/prodigy/Web/prodigy-home.html    (02)

I know work in representing these ideas in a more
general ontology has been done at Cycorp in their
Cyc-L language using Action Predicates and Scripts.    (03)

Josh Powers    (04)

--- matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx wrote:    (05)

=== message truncated ===    (06)