Re: [uos-convene] [ontolog-forum] Planning another NIST-Ontolog joint ev

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ray@xxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, loberst@xxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 14:26:27 -0500
Leo, Peter, and Steve,    (01)

I like Steve's suggestion:    (02)

 >                  Semantic Mapping
 >                         or
 >       How we must learn to love heterogeneity    (03)

This is related to a talk I gave in August (abstract below):    (04)

      http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/extend.pdf
      Extending Semantic Interoperability    (05)

As a shorter title, I would suggest "Semantic Systems".
This is an all-inclusive title that suggests a commitment
to support the semantics of all formats and representations
used in all aspects of systems, old or new.  That includes
the WWW, the databases, the GUIs, the design tools, the
documentation, the programming languages, etc.  Even more
important, it includes the semantics of the world, as
viewed by the people who use all these systems.    (06)

John Sowa
____________________________________________________________________    (07)

                 Extending Semantic Interoperability
            To Legacy Systems and an Unpredictable Future    (08)

                           John F. Sowa    (09)

Abstract.  This talk discusses issues of semantic interoperability,
the role of ontology, and the requirements for supporting a graceful
migration from legacy systems and for accommodating unexpected
circumstances that may arise in the future.  A central theme is the
role of formal systems of logic, ontology, and knowledge representation.
To provide some perspective on current systems and the potential for
the future, it begins with a survey of some historical developments
in computer science and artificial intelligence.    (010)

http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/extend.pdf    (011)

Message Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/uos-convene/
To Post: mailto:uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/UpperOntologySummit/uos-convene/