Re: [ontolog-forum] Best tools for good lists of synonyms

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Jarrold <jarrold@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:37:38 -0700
Hello Antoinette,    (01)

I have 4 suggestions...    (02)

OpenCyc: You might derive synomyms from a broad, machine encoded
ontology that contains affect, attribution, causality, revenge and
more by looking at opencyc.    E.g. See
http://opencyc1.cyc.com:3602/cgi-bin/cyccgi/cg?cb-start
and type in pride or suffer or dominate.  Browse each such term and
focus on
genls links (a genls link is a superclass link).  If this seems
fruitful and you have questions about
how to browse or what things mean, let me know.    (03)

LIWC: This is a textual content analysis program used for various
kinds of research mostly in the area of social psychology.  See
www.liwc.net for background.   See http://www.liwc.net/
descriptiontable1.php .  That table indicates this program contains
261 words and word stems that have to do with positive emotions and
345 that have to do with negative emotions.  Beyond the few examples
on their web page, I am not sure if they have published the list of
words anywhere.  If the list is not published, then maybe you ask the
authors (e.g. Pennebaker) then maybe you can get the lists from them
(or even ask me, but only if they give you permission, of course).    (04)

OCC Ontology: Ortony Clore and Collins 1988 wrote a book called the
Cognitive Structure of Emotion.  This is a fairly well thought out
but not machine readable ontology.  It might help you derive some
good synonym terms.    (05)

Related to OCC there are other articles such as  Ortony, A.; Clore,
G.; and Foss, M. 1987. The referential structure of the affective
lexicon. Cognitive Science 11:341--364. that contain large synonym
lists.    (06)

Well, I realize that this may not be exactly what you are looking for
-- i.e. you will have to do some legwork to actually get a list of
synonym words from any of the above source.  Nonetheless I hope it is
helpful.    (07)

Good luck,    (08)

Bill    (09)

On Oct 9, 2006, at 7:44 AM, Arsic, Antoinette wrote:    (010)